Dutch Crunch Bread

Also known as Tiger Bread. 
It was a day like many other where students were fed, the kitchen staff left and I headed out the door at 2:30 to get my kid from her school.

When I got home the ennui hit so I thought I'd bake a thing. What thing you ask? White bread. Then I thought this looks plain on top and what was that thing I saw once on TGBBS (The Great British Baking Show)? I looked up a quick how to and you know I had all the ingredients! I had rice flour. -I also had glutenous rice flour, which I left in the cabinet.

This is how I did it what you see above.

On the back of the bread white flour bag of Gold Medal they have your basic white bread recipe. I used that with double quick acting yeast. That's what I call bread machine yeast. I also used margarine instead of oil, because I was feeling whimsical. This recipe isn't about the the bread, it's about the topping.

In a bowl combine:
0.75 cup rice flour
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
0.25 teaspoon salt
0.50 cup warm water

Mix together and allow to get foamy. 15-20 minutes. Spread liberally over the top of two bread loaves that are close to finishing their last rise. Use all the rice flour paste. You can allow the bread to rise 15 minutes longer, or put it in a 375 degree oven and bake until done 25ish minutes.

This did work as advertised. However, in future baking I'll make rolls, because the top is crunchy, but falls off when you slice into it. I think this would make a great burger bun!

Comments