Angel Food Cake - American Cake - Is deviled better?

Angel Food Cake
I made the Angel Food Cake in the American Cake Book. It's just okay. It costs 11 eggs, flour and sugar and time. Lots of time.

The first time I made it something went terribly wrong. I think I was too robust mixing the flour into the egg white/sugar mixture.
The second time and the last time, it was fine, but there I expect other recipes that have different processes that will be easier and more successful.

At any rate I made it. There's a picture. Now I can get on with following recipes. My hurt feelings about the first fail made me pause too long on making the cakes.

It tasted like angel food. It taste like sugar, egg whites, flour and vanilla. All in all, not bad but what to do with the 11 egg yolks? I made curd the first time and I made pastry cream the second time.

1 cup flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
11 large egg whites, (1.50 cup, reserve the yolks for something else)
1.50 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Sift flour and cream of tartar together.
Beat the egg whites to foaming peaks. Add the sugar a few tablespoons at a time, until it's all incorporated. Add the vanilla and salt. The eggs should be stiff and glossy.

Add the flour mixture and GENTLY mix it in by hand, be super careful not to lose the air in the egg whites. Pour into a UNGREASED Angel Food Pan and bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes. Invert immediate when removing it from the oven. Leave to cool completely. Run a sharp knife around the edge.

Comments